Monday 2 July 2012

Basil dressing Layered Salad




So this past weekend was Canada Day Weekend. We had such beautiful weather to celebrate Canada's 145th.  Man our country is looking good for her age!  Anyways....

This year my in laws held a big family get together at their homestead.  Lots of laughing going on for sure.  I learned way too much about my in law family....but man was it fun!  One uncle shared a recipe with me that was noteworthy....Ichiban sandwiches......YEP....You read that right....ICHIBAN SANDWICHES....  You cook the ichiban and then place it between 2 buttered slices of bread....One rule is you must eat it over a sink...Ughhh...Man food.

Well, that is NOT the recipe I wish to share today.  For my contribution to the feast that was partaken of I made a Basil dressing Layered Salad.  Easy to prepare, easy to modify to what's in your fridge.   Here is my version.

Modified from Kraft Canada.



1. You choose your serving bowl.  A nice clear one shows off the salad nicely.  2. Fill 1/3 with lettuce greens. (or baby spinach)


3. Fun part...Look in your fridge and pull out all the good veggies you can find and some cheese too!

For this particular salad I layered:

3-4 cups chopped romaine lettuce (packed down)
1 1/2 cups shredded marble cheese
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced red onion
1 cup sliced cucumber
2 tomatoes sliced
1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled peas.



Here we are layering away :)

DON'T forget the peas.  They really are tasty in this salad. (I guess if you really detest them you can omit them...but its a shame...)


4. Dressing:  (you can modify amounts to suit the size of salad)

1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (you can also use 3 teaspoons of dried)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
ground pepper
Combine together and mix well.


5.  Spread dressing on top of salad.

 

6. Toppings:  I then topped salad with more shredded marble cheese and BACON!  YUM!

 Doesn't that look so pretty!  People will think you slaved for hours making this beauty.


Enjoy!!


4 comments:

  1. I had hoped that your blog would inspire me to cook more, but mostly it makes me want to come eat at your house!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we do need to do a dinner I believe...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks so yummy. I love layered salads. I will have to try this for my next get together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a nice one Andrea! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete