Wednesday 3 October 2012

cinnamon biscotti



It is time to make some biscotti!!!

I has been awhile.  I find this slightly humorous as my blog's name has biscotti in it.  You would think I would be providing you with a plethora of recipes in a burgeoning file labeled "biscotti". But alas, I have been negligent in my biscotti duties.

I believe I have fulfilled the daily requirement for large words.....:)

ANYWAYS,

I do enjoy a lovely biscotti and I have been looking forward to making this variation since I came upon it earlier in the year.  It sounds like it would be the most lovely accompaniment to a chai tea, or a pumpkin spice latte, and a good Jane Austen inspired book :)  Sweet cinnamon cookies to dunk in a steaming hot mug of goodness. :)

Here she be.  I hope to have some ladies over to enjoy these babies soon!!

Cinnamon Biscotti

Source: Joy the Baker

What you Need:

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

 1 cup granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 Tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

For Topping:

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 beaten egg (for brushing biscotti before baking)

What you Do:

1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. 

3.  Whisk together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping and set aside.

4.  In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in egg, egg yolk, milk, and vanilla; beat another minute.   

5.  Add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter all at once.  With a spoon or spatula, stir ingredients into a ball of dough.

6.  Divide the dough in two.  Shape each half of dough into a 9-inch long and 2-inch wide log.

7.  Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle very liberally with the cinnamon sugar.

8.  Bake in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes.

9.  Remove from the oven but keep the oven on.  Let biscotti cool until able to handle.  Using a serrated knife, cut logs into 1/2-inch wide slices.  Place biscotti cut side down on baking sheet and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar.

10.  Bake again until pale golden, about 10-15 minutes.  Cool completely.

11.  Dunk into sweet tea, chai tea, lattes, WHATEVER....and enjoy!

12.  Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be right over to sample those!! ;-) Good book too, eh??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great book. I have it ready for you. And the biscotti - I need to make another batch, yup....it was that good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! Cake Delivery in Delhi

    ReplyDelete