Wednesday 28 November 2012

Chorizo Italian Sausage Gumbo




Comfort in a bowl.  That is what I love about Fall and Winter recipes....warmth, substance, AND....IN A BOWL!!!  Soups, stews, and chilies are some of my favorite foods, and this GUMBO is tops!  I was just beginning my quest for delicious foods when I found this recipe in one of my mom's cooking magazines.  I did ask before I cut out the recipe....(I think she would have noticed the gaping hole...) and off I went to find the ingredients to this Gumbo.  My husband loved it!, and my toddler and infant sons thought we were crazy...it is so good!  Spicy, but not too spicy

Now that was a couple of years ago and now I have made the recipe my own, but with keeping the true essence of the recipe. So I present to you a must make for your family...

Chicken - Chorizo Sausage Gumbo 


What you need:

2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs or small breasts cubed ***(see note)
4 chorizo or mild Italian sausages, sliced (I like a mix)
1 large onion diced
2 celery sticks diced
1 sweet red pepper diced
4 cloves of garlic minced

1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper

1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
1 can of diced tomatoes (28 oz/796 mL)
1/2 cup of chicken stock
3 tbsp tomato paste

parsley (freshly chopped or dried) - garnish

What you do:

1.  In large skillet, heat oil and brown chick an sausages.  Transfer to SLOW COOKER.

2.  In same skillet cook onions, celery red pepper, garlic, paprika, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper till golden. (about 8 min) ADD TO SLOW COOKER

3.  Add wine to skillet; bring to boil, scraping up any brown bits that might be there.  ADD to SLOW COOKER.
4.  Add to SLOW COOKER - tomatoes, broth, paste and a 1/4 cup of water and COOK on LOW for 4 - 6 hours.

Serve on top of basmati rice and you got yourself the most amazing meal!!!!  Enjoy!!

*** note*** - We have also added shrimp into the mix.  About 30 minutes left on Slow cooking time add some defrosted, de-viened, shrimp.  OOOOHHH YAAAAA BABY



No comments:

Post a Comment