Monday 12 August 2013

Saskatoon-Blueberry Jam





Saskatoon and Blueberry season!

 One of my favorites.

 I really do go through the year in food seasons.  January is leftover Christmas cookie season, March-June - Strawberry season, July - Cherry season, End of July -August - Saskatoon/Blueberry SEASON!!!  September......Concord grapes....but we'll discuss that one later this year.

Right now  I am immersing myself in Blueberries and Saskatoons.  What is a Saskatoon you ask?  It is bluish purple berry.  It's similar to a blueberry but yet very different.  It grows wild all over Alberta and lots of areas in Canada.  For my part of the province prime picking is NOW!  And this year is a good season as the weather has been conducive to big juicy berries.

I like to combine Saskatoons with Blueberries and Saskatoons are a more hardy-seedy berry.  The blueberries combine well in flavor and add a wonderful juiciness that I love!

So as I am up to my eyeballs in both berries I am aiming to preserve as many as I can.  I do like to freeze most of my berries and then MAKE JAM!!!!

My little family LOVES Jam!  This year I've made a triple batch of my Strawberry-Rhubarb jam and now Saskatoon-Blueberry!  This is the first time I've tried this combo and I LOVE IT!  So does my husband.  You can make this jam straight Blueberry if ya like.  We like the Saskatoons in there too. 

Here is the recipe!

Saskatoon-Blueberry Jam
adapted from Bernardin

What you Need:

2 1/2 cups of crushed Saskatoons
2 cups of crushed Blueberries

1/4 cup of lemon juice
7 cups of granulated sugar
2 pouches of  liquid pectin (I like Bernardin)

What you do:

1.  Prepare canner, jars, and lids as per usual for jam (sterilising of jars and sealers, and boiling water in canner.)

2.  In saucepan stir together fruit, lemon juice, and sugar

3.  Add 1/2 teaspoon of butter to the mixture to reduce foaming

4.  Over high heat bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down

5.  Add pectin to mixture

6.  Boil mixture hard for 1 minute stirring constantly

7.  Remove from heat and process jars.

Processing:

1. fill jars full of hot jam mixture to about 1/4 inch from the top.

2. Wipe edge so that the surface is clean.

3.  Top with sealer and ring.  Tighten

4.  Place in canner and process. 10 minutes.  (if you live in a higher elevation you have to add a few more minutes.  Check on line.  In my town I needed to add 5 more minutes

5. Remove from canner and rest jam jars on a towel for 24 hrs.

6.  Enjoy!  

Makes 7 - 1 cup jars.









No comments:

Post a Comment